Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Diversity Visa Lottery FAQs

Program Diversity Visa Lottery (DV ) ago 50,000 legal permanent resident ("green card") visas available each year to nationals of countries that the U.S. considered to be under-represented in U.S. immigration . Anyone who is not an excluded country may apply either currently residing outside the U.S. or U.S. Although some restrictions apply , so please read the FAQ line .

What countries are excluded from the DV lottery this year?
For DV- 2015 , natives of the following countries are not eligible to apply because they sent a total of more than 50,000 immigrants to the U.S. during the previous five years :

Bahamas , Bangladesh , Brazil, Canada , China ( mainland-born ) , Colombia , Dominican Republic , Ecuador , El Salvador , Haiti , India , Jamaica, Mexico , Nigeria , Pakistan, Peru , Philippines , South Korea , United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories , Vietnam.

Persons born in Hong Kong S.A.R. (Asia ), Macau S.A.R. ( European Region ) , and Taiwan (Asia ) are eligible.

If you are a " native" to any of these countries , you can not apply for the diversity visa lottery . Generally, a person is considered a "native " of the country in which he or she was born. There are some exceptions to this rule , so if you are not sure whether you qualify, you should contact a lawyer.

What are the requirements to qualify?
To qualify, the applicant must be from an eligible country , have a high school diploma , or two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training and is otherwise admissible .

Where I can get more information?
More information is available on the website of the State Department.
Can I apply even if I'm in the U.S. without legal status ( "paperless" ) ?
Under current law , a person who is in the U.S. without legal status winning the DV lottery is not allowed to apply for residency in the U.S. ( " Adjustment of status " ) unless they had some other visa petition for lawful permanent residence ( family or employment based ) filed before April 30, 2001 . The DV lottery program is not an amnesty program . If you are undocumented and you're notified DOS has won the DV lottery, the notice will tell you to return to your country for processing. If you follow these instructions and leave the U.S. It is almost certain that he was not allowed to return to the U.S. Under current immigration law , anyone who has been in the U.S. without legal status for more than 180 days, you are prohibited from returning to the U.S. for three years if he or she leaves. Anyone who has been in the U.S. without legal status for more than one year are barred from returning for ten years if he or she leaves.

So, if I'm in the U.S. and undocumented immigrants should I apply?
Probably not . There is a much greater risk for undocumented persons to apply now that electronically collects information that was in the past when the lottery is done through the presentation of papers . DOS has said they will use this information as part of its fight against terrorism , it is not clear whether the information will be used against undocumented immigrants.

Although there is always the hope that the law will change and people without legal status will be allowed to adjust status within the U.S. The risk of the information being used against an undocumented applicant seems greater than the probability that an undocumented immigrant success could apply to adjust status to lawful permanent resident. If you are undocumented in the U.S. and thinking of applying for the DV lottery, you should consult with an experienced immigration attorney first.

I am HIV positive. Can I apply ?
Yes Being HIV positive is not a ground of inadmissibility .

How will I know if I won ?
A government computer selects individuals at random from all qualified entries. Beginning May 1, 2014 until at least June 30, 2015 , you will be able to check the status of your entry by going to , clicking Status Check and entering participant number confirmation you were given when you applied . This is the only way to know if you were selected , so it is important that you keep a record of your confirmation number ( Keep your confirmation number at least until September 30, 2015 ) . If you were selected , Participant Status Check will provide further instructions , including all required fees . Note that DOS will NOT be mailing out notification letters and NOT notify winners by email. Unselected be notified of their non-selection through Entrant Status Check.

How do I apply ?
Again this year, the Department of State will only accept applications that are filed electronically at along with digital photographs. It is strongly recommended not to wait until the last week of the registration period to enter recommended.

How much is the application?
There is no fee at the time of the online application is filled . Note that the U.S. Government employ outside consultants or private services to operate the DV program.

When is the registration period ?
Entries for the DV- 2015 DV program must be submitted electronically in between 12:00 pm EDT on Tuesday, October 1, 2013 , and 24:00 EDT on Saturday, November 2, 2013 .

Can I submit more than one application ?Anyone who submits more than one application will be disqualified automatically .

Should I hire a representative , a fee or use an online service to apply for the DV lottery?
Probably not . Most of the websites or the services offered to assist applicants in completing the application for the DV lottery are not reputable and are not necessary. The application for the DV lottery online is very simple, and requires no fee. However, there are some reputable organizations nonprofit that helps people who would otherwise not have access to computers to submit their applications . These services must be free or very low cost.